Monday, October 12, 2015

'Notha week en Octubre

Horse drawn cart in Coyhaique.

Dogs: we saw a dog jump 20 times like a kangaroo about 4 feet into the air. At one point, we had 10 dogs within 5 feet of us. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't experience it. At another point, we had 4 dogs and 2 cats within 3 feet of us. On an intercombio with AP Elder Nogales at a door contact, a dog was barking at me. It was on a hill right by the fence, and our faces were 1 ft. away. His barks were like concussions through my body. I could feel its breath on my face, and its breath reaked. I'm feeding Judas hotdogs now. He still barks like crazy and tries to eat me through the fence, but my feelings towards him have changed. Service lesson of the day for you right there.


We contacted a lady in the street, and the top of her head reached the bottom of my rib cage. 

I pause so many times here because it is so beautiful. Just like Walter Mitty. So blessed to preach the gospel in PATAGONIA.

We found a golden family. We meet up with them this week. They are teaching their kids to pray.

We have been challenged to read the Book of Mormon in three months. I'm reading it before the end of the year. That book is so true. I started on Tuesday to read the scriptures in only Spanish. I understand maybe 80 percent, until I arrived at the Isaiah chapters, haha. I had two conversations this week with Chileans that I walked away from and went "Whoa, I understood all of that, an d they understood me!" Spanish is coming.

Elder Lawton is so great for me. He is helping me with my Spanish, dealing with stress, being myself at all times, and speaking up. We've had to run to the house a bunch at nights to get home on time at 9:30.

Jordana is now living in our sector again!!! Joel is completing his compromisos.

Experiences: At one point there was a Chile soccer game. NO ONE would even come to the door. One guy did, and he was evangelico. He just went off on this rant about "the gospel". I was just standing there, and my mind was elsewhere. Then I realized he is a child of God that is precious to God. I couldn't help but love that guy so much. He didn't know what he was missing, how we could help him. I loved him so much. We left, and, afterward, I felt like crying. I'm so grateful I can help people here.

We talked with a guy, and he just told us all of his marital problems.  Then he asked me what he should do. In that moment I felt like "Whoa, I'm just 18 and I have no marital experience and no idea how to help him". Then the Spirit reminded me that I am a representative of Jesus Christ. And if I open my mouth, it will be filled. I did, and it was filled. We counseled him to pray. He has been, and a completely new light has come into his life. He now has perspective, happiness, and patience.

We were rejected a lot one day, and that night I read 1 Nephi 2: 18-20. The Spirit rocked me and told me that these verses apply to me and I don´t need to worry about anything. I have been faithful, and God will take care of me.

I love you all so much. Ponderize 1 Nephi 17:3 with me this week.

Elder West

sent from a rented Chilean computer

After having to run home at night.

A model dog.